15 May So you want to build a fence, how hard could it be?
Posted at 20:57h in DIY
So you want to build a fence, how hard could it be? Check out these tips from the experts before you take on this DIY project:
- When measuring your yard for your fence, start with the gate. Measuring and marking your gate first means you’ll know exactly how wide the gate will be and how much material you’ll need for building the gate itself.
- Double-nail the gate boards to keep them from shifting and use an A frame for stronger reinforcement.
- If your gate goes around a pool or pond, make sure gate is self-closing, and opens out from the pool or pond.
- Wood gets heavier when it gets wet, set posts deeper around gates and get the right size hinges to hold the weight of the gate plus any extra weight if the wood absorbs water from rain.
- Don’t stain your boards before putting them in place. Lumber manufactures can apply finishes that leave moisture in the boards, so stain might not get fully absorbed by the wood if you put it on before they have had a chance to dry out completely.
- Your sections should be no longer than your posts, so if your posts are 6 feet high, your sections should be no more than 6 feet long.
- If you’re building a new fence instead of replacing an old one, have the property surveyed so you are sure of the property boundaries.
- Call 811 a few days before you dig your post holes. Utility companies will come out to mark where utility lines are so you don’t have to risk hitting anything underground.